Government rejects ASF casino for The Spit

POSTED ON August 4, 2017 @ 11:01 pm

The Australia State Government has cancelled a $3 billion casino resort earmarked for the Gold Coast’s Southport Spit.

The Chinese-backed company ASF had planned a five-tower integrated resort, which included a casino expected to be developed on crown land at the Spit, heowever Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced it had been rejected and ruled out any development over three storeys on The Spit. This is fabulous news for local residents.

Ms Palaszczuk who took note of the public consultation over the project which showed that the community did not want a casino or high rises on the SeaWorld Drive land.

“That casino license will remain on the Gold Coast but there will be no integrated resort development here on The Spit,” said Premier Palaszczuk. The traffic solution alone would be an absolute eyesore where Premier Palaszczuk compared The Spit on the Gold Coast to Central Park in New York. The available casino licence would remain on the Gold Coast but not for proposals on The Spit.

The Premier said the government would take Crown law advice on whether taxpayers would have to compensate the China-backed developers for the millions of dollars they’d invested as preferred proponent of the project.

More than 6500 submissions were made around the general future use of public land and the ASF proposal for a casino and resort.

Public lobbying and advertising from pro and anti development groups was fierce during the consultation period.

The report is likely to impact the Government’s approach to Gold Coast City Council’s $450 million plans for a 6ha cruise ship terminal on public land at Philip Park, across the road from ASF’s proposal.

Original Source: Gold Coast Bulletin